Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

MISSING: My Motivation

What's up with me today? I was on such a high on Monday after weighing in and seeing that I had lost just under 5 pounds in the month since I'd last weighed in. I was so motivated that I worked extra hard that day.

And since then, I haven't been back to the gym.

Granted, it's only been two days but I don't want to fall into the habit of not going again. I was feeling sort of guilty as I passed the gym on my way home today but then I hopped on here and checked in with all of the sites I visit regularly. Boy, did Space Chick lay on the guilt!

Seems she's a runner and has recently gotten back to it. She's run nearly 153 miles since February. I think it's great and I wish her luck and constant motivation! Now, I'm not sure if she's a runner for hobby or health but it doesn't really matter... I read her post and felt like I was being scolded for skipping a second day of working out.

Of course, it wasn't only Space Chick's post. Mary, on her weight loss blog, The Size of My Thighs, has successfully completed the first week of her new diet and has lost nearly 4 pounds. (Keep it up, Mary!)

Everyone is doing things that I should be doing. I've lost approximately 20 pounds this year alone already and it's great. I'm not officially dieting because diets don't work. Oh sure, they may help you lose some weight but how many of them actually help you to keep the weight from coming back? Anyway, before I get completely sidetracked... I'm not dieting but have cut back on my portion sizes and have cut out a lot of junk food type foods that I used to indulge in quite frequently. I've also increased the amount of water and decreased the amount of soda that I drink. Beyond that, I'm trying to work out a few times a week.

I want to keep it up. Did I mention that I wanted to lose 20 pounds by July 1st? I set that goal at the beginning of April and I've lost nearly 5 pounds already. I can do this. I can make this goal... WITH SOME HARD WORK!

Some days it's just so difficult to do it. The excuses are too easy... I'm tired; I don't feel well; I'm too busy; I have other plans tonight; etc. The list of excuses is endless. And at some point, I think I've used the majority of them! I do find though that people that don't belong to a gym or have little need to work out don't understand that the hardest part is actually walking in the door. If you're one of those people, I know it sounds stupid but there is a certain amount of dread... even though this is a good thing that you're trying to do.

I take my exercise clothes to work with me and, on days that I actually go to the gym, change before I leave work thus forcing myself to feel like a real loser if I don't go. And I'll admit that usually, after working out, I do feel better.

So, again I ask, What's my problem today?! I NEED to do this. I WANT to do this. I HAVE to do this. I WILL do this! But not tomorrow because I already have plans... (I wish that was a joke, but it's the absolute truth)!

However, I will promise not to wait until Monday to get back into a routine. I'll get back on Friday. Really, I will!

2 Comments:

  • At 4/27/2005 7:12 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Rebecca, give yourself a break; you're doing great! Losing that much weight is a real accomplishment, especially in such a short amount of time. I have been following the South Beach diet for the past 14 months and I lost 30 pounds in the first part of that time and then kind of leveled off. I would like to lose quite a bit more. I don't really even think of it as a diet, it is just the way I eat now. I don't really cheat but I do have things like sugar free chocolate more than I should- so don't beat yourself up too much over missing a couple of days in the gym. I don't drink soda or juice or coffee or tea, but red wine (merlot) and beer are my weaknesses- we all have them. Maybe posting about your progress in the gym will help to keep you motivated. I wish you the best of luck, Jen

     
  • At 4/28/2005 11:41 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Thanks for the support! I really appreciate it! I know that two days isn't a lot but I set myself a real goal... one that I have to work hard to achieve so I don't want to sabotage myself!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home