Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

This Too Shall Pass

I have had the desire to post something all day but I didn't know what to talk about. This afternoon I witnessed someone else's heartache and here I am.

There was no joy for me in the young woman's pain. I wanted to put my hand on her shoulder and tell her This Too Shall Pass. I didn't though.

I had to stop at the ob/gyn to pick up a prescription. When I pulled in, I noticed a young man outside. By the time I had gotten out of the car and was halfway to the door, the young woman came out. As I got closer I could hear the woman crying, saying, "You're the father. I can't believe you're not going to do this with me."

I don't know if she was upset because he wasn't going in to the appointment or if he was telling her he wanted no part of her and her baby's lives but I didn't stick around to find out.

While I was waiting, she returned to the office, alone, and sat down trying to control her tears. As much as I wanted to offer her some support, I didn't want to intrude on something so personal.

Like I said, I took no joy in her pain. But, in truth, it put my situation in a new perspective. Okay, so I'm not part of a relationship anymore but I'm not single and pregnant, I have family, friends and a job, albeit not a great paying one, but a job nonetheless, and there is love in my life.

A baby is something that should be enjoyed. I can't imagine having to face that situation with a jerk, like this guy seemed to be, or alone. Women do it all the time and I give them kudos but I wouldn't want to do it that way. I hope this young woman finds some peace. My thoughts are going to be with her and I'm going to try to remember that as bad as I think things are in my life, they could always be worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home