Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Saturday, May 14, 2005

A Funny Thing Happened...

A funny thing happened yesterday at work. Of course, it wasn't so funny at the time but it's humor is becoming more obvious to me as some time passes.

We don't have a kitchen at work but we do have a fridge and coffeemaker. So if anyone eats or drinks something and has to wash dishes, they need to either take their dishes home or wash them in the bathroom sink.

I went into the bathroom to wash a mug out for coffee and all was quiet, the morning was kind of lazy even since we'd just gotten a grant out the day before there was a sort of lull to the day. I turned on the water and a HUGE cockroach (at least 2-2 1/2 inches long) came scurrying out of the drain and comes to rest on the floor behind the door.

Always having prided myself on not being the sissy girl who's afraid of bugs, I was a little embarrassed by the sound I made upon seeing this thing. It wasn't a scream but it was enough for my boss to come running asking if everything was okay.

Now, everyone was a little freaked out by the size of this thing but no one really wanted to get near it. We had no bug spray, traps, bait or anything of the sort to make this thing die. I have this weird thing too that if I am going to hear it crunch or feel it squish in a paper towel or under my shoe, I'm not killing it.

This being the situation, the cockroach won. It got to stay. I'm telling you, it wasn't afraid. The light was on and there were a group of people around but this thing just sat there, almost like it was daring us to do something.

Bizarre, I know. But it gets better.

A few hours later I had to go to the bathroom. So I walked in slowly and was looking around. I started to close the door and was all the while looking at the spot on the floor where the thing had decided to reside earlier. It wasn't there. I was safe. Then I looked up. It was on the trim around the door at eye level!

Well, I made that noise again, once again causing a co-worker to come running.

My office is above a pizza parlor so there are going to be bugs, even roaches. I'm as okay as I can be with this but I don't want to see them! This really just freaked me out some. I felt dirty and itchy all day and after this most recent episode refused to use the ladies room. From that point on, the men's room was the only way to go!

Anyway, my first sighting of the cockroach was around 9:30 am. When I left at 5 pm, it was still on the trim behind the door. For the first time in the year and a half I've worked there, I'm not looking forward to returning on Monday! I think that I need to be prepared when I arrive though.

9 Comments:

  • At 5/14/2005 10:52 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    ewwwwwww!

     
  • At 5/14/2005 11:14 AM, Blogger srini said…

    strange...

    do you have a habit of posting comments to your own posts ;)..

    or did you see the roach in front of your (mind's) eyes as you re-read your post!!

     
  • At 5/14/2005 11:31 AM, Blogger TRUTHBETOLD696969 said…

    That post is written by something so confused, it doesn't know whether to scratch its watch or wind its ass. In future, kindly proofread your posts before assaulting unsuspecting readers of this message board with a litany of misspellings, egregious grammatical errors, and other verbal atrocities.

    When I want your monkey-brained opinion I'll rattle your cage, okay? You wouldn't know a clue if it walked up to you, bit you on the ass, and announced 'I AM A CLUE'. However, I'll consider letting you have the last word if you guarantee it will be your last. As Abba Eban so aptly said: "His ignorance is encyclopedic."

    What possessed you to think that you were capable of being entertaining or interesting to read? You are like watching Amputee Field Hockey: pathetic, and very quickly disgusting. Maybe you wouldn't come across as such a jellyfish-sucking mental midget if you weren't so dumb that even blondes tell jokes about you, or if you didn't have a face that makes people ask: "Damn, is it Halloween already?" Nah, of course you would.

    Anyway, I'm not really good with fools, but a friend who is good with fools wrote something down for me. Oh, yeah, "Shut your cake-hole, stupid!"

     
  • At 5/14/2005 3:27 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    The squishing and crunching bothers me too, but sometimes you just have to do it. That or the spray. In Florida we have bugs around year round due to the warm weather and have to have pest control companies come out frequently so that we don't get bug problems. The worst ones to me are not technically insects, but definitely pests- spiders. Sometimes when you step on one it will be carrying babies and hundreds of baby spiders go running off in all directions! I hate that.

     
  • At 5/14/2005 5:12 PM, Blogger M.Thom said…

    Seems like somebody took their a-hole pills today...

    Also, Srini, that is a different Rebecca that commented...not the one who writes the blog.

    As for the bug, EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

     
  • At 5/14/2005 7:44 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I agree with MMT, Rebecca. I think it is time to click on the little trash can next to the third post!

     
  • At 5/15/2005 10:50 AM, Blogger srini said…

    oops, sorry!

    i think the story took away my normal thinking for some time :)

     
  • At 5/15/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    yeah, this is the other rebecca. :-)

     
  • At 5/16/2005 3:58 PM, Blogger patrice said…

    oh, those people do the opposite of the pay-it-forward nextblog - they just rip on anything they see, with pre-worded templates. bah.

    anyways, the cockroach. gross.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home