Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Monday, May 09, 2005

A Girlie Girl in the Making

Growing up, I was tomboy-ish. I wasn't into girlie girl things. I hated dresses (and pretty much still do), same thing with heels or other girlie type shoes. Makeup? I tried it and wasn't terribly impressed so I abandoned it. Hair? Ha! Remember in the 80s when BIG hair was the coolest thing? Try as I might, I could never get the curling iron to work its magic on me!

It's only now... Now that I'm once again single, now that I'm 7 months away from my 30th birthday that I'm beginning to enjoy all of these things I once hated so much.

Over the weekend, I went shopping with someone I haven't spent time with in a long time. I bought two tops, a pair of capri pants and a pair of very girlie sandals. My old friend was laughing at me. I have known her, literally, since she was born and for most of our lives we were inseperable. Things between us really began to change when I went away to college. We discovered we had seperate lives and we began to enjoy that. But I digress...

She was always the girlie one of the two of us so her feedback was much needed and much appreciated. And in addition to the clothes, I've been wearing makeup much more often than ever before. And, I've even gotten sort of good at applying it! (I don't look like a clown, a HUGE bonus in my book!)

But again, I'm beginning to veer off... even the t-shirts I am buying lately are more girlie (v-necks, a little more form fitting, etc.). Last night I had bowling. My team on Sundays consists of me, my ex, a guy he works with, and a friend of that guy. The guy from work and his friend were at the lanes when I walked over and the friend asked if I was going out afterwards. Clueless as I am, I said no and asked why. He complimented me. He told me I looked really good. The attire was nothing more than a girlie t-shirt, jeans and some makeup. Nothing special but then again... I got a compliment so maybe it was. That's not even the full story though. A little while later, after we had begun bowling, my ex caught my eye and he told me I looked really nice.

TWO! I got two compliments from two men, in one night! Wahoo!

You all must think I'm either really pathetic or really undeserving of compliments by the way I go on and on about receiving them. I wouldn't say I'm undeserving, I just would describe my looks as average. I honestly don't think there's anything extraordinary about my appearance but to toot my own horn for a moment, I have to say that I am fairly attractive.

It's kind of funny, to me, that I'm becoming so girlie. I never really liked girlie girls. I guess maybe it's because somewhere deep inside I wanted to be more like them and less like me.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/09/2005 12:11 PM, Blogger M.Thom said…

    You crack me up! For those of you who have not met Rebecca in person, here's my opinion...and she has know me since I was born too.

    You have a great smile that lights up your whole face. Your hair is really shiny and doesn't have nasty fly-aways like mine does. And your laugh fills a room and makes a person feel good to hear it. I have been looking at you for a LONG time, and I have always thought you were beautiful.

     
  • At 5/09/2005 3:23 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Nothing wrong with tooting your own horn once in a while. It's funny how a single well-aimed compliment (or two) can make your entire day; I definitely know the feeling!

     
  • At 5/09/2005 7:10 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Rebecca, it is a shame we live so far apart, because we have so much in common. I have not been much of a girlie girl for most of my life, although I have been in spurts. I think it relates to my weight. If I feel good about my body, then I am more inclined to be girlie. But in the last year I have been girlier than I have been in a while- even wearing pink! I think you are probably more attractive than you think- you should post some pics on your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home