Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Regret

This morning, on my way to work I was listening to the radio and the morning show host for the only country station I get was talking about regret.

Regret is an interesting concept to me. Ultimately, everything we say and everything we do makes us into the people we are. So how can you legitimately regret something?

I'm not saying that I've never felt the twinge of regret. I have but I try to just learn from those things, not dwell on them and move on.

If I had known five and a half years ago that my ex would become my ex, would I have stayed with him for so long? Probably not but not because I didn't or don't still love him but because I do want and have wanted to get married. If I could go back, maybe I'd have left when the talk about marriage ceased. Or maybe I would have just talked to him about it and rectified the situation before it came down to ending the relationship.

If given the opportunity, I think I might like to see where I'd be now, had I made some different choices. (I have scenes from a few different movies running through my head right now though I can't think of any of the movie names.) Oh well. Everything happens for a reason, right? Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes and won't make them again.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/13/2005 11:03 AM, Blogger patrice said…

    got to this from your cousin MMT. love your background choice! ;)

    this is very thought-provoking. regrets - I've had a few. and I think regret is a good thing. if you never regretted any decision you made, you'd never be able to learn from your experiences. I think regret gets a bum rap - it's not always the negative, trapping vice that people say it is. though that does make for some excellent song lyrics.

    regret is what made me go back to school. regret is what makes me tell my son to make sure he understands how making fun of his classmates can really hurt them. regret is what makes me appreciate my husband and not take him for granted, lest he leave me because of it. so regret has been kind to me.

     
  • At 5/13/2005 11:15 AM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    If anything you will learn from the experience or else you will regret. Just my 2 cents...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home