Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Thursday, May 05, 2005

What's Up With Austin?

Okay, so I signed on today and was checking out my usual sites and saw this on Jen's page, Space Chick. Then I checked out Mary's page, Rich Girl, Poor Girl, and loandbehold, there it was again.

So, not one to want to miss the bandwagon, I have hopped on and found that I am best suited to live in Austin, TX.

I've only been to Texas once. When my cousin Alissa was born. My mom wanted to help out my aunt since Mary, just a few months younger than me, was only three. There are only a few things I remember about the trip. First and foremost being Mary and I playing cowgirls and indians. She had this great little rocking horse. Anyway, I was the indian and Mary was the cowgirl. Brilliant as she is, Mary decided she needed a lasso and swiped one of my uncle's belts from the closet. The next thing I know, I'm on the floor with blood oozing from my head... Maybe that explains some things!

Another thing I remember is thinking it would be so cool to ride in the back of my uncle's pickup. I don't think we were allowed and I think I was promised that we could the next time we visited, which turned out to be never. Finally, I remember going to "school" with Mary and making a necklace with a mustard seed and my name spelled out in some sort of pasta inside some sort of glass or plastic. You'd have to see it but take my word, it was very cool.

My point, however, was that it seems to be that EVERYONE would do well in Austin. Guess I'd have to visit or at least learn more about it to really understand why it's my number one place.








American Cities That Best Fit You:



80% Austin

65% Atlanta

60% Denver

55% Honolulu

55% Miami






So completely unrelated to anything else I've written tonight... I want to share what a great feeling I had earlier today.

I took the afternoon off (used a 1/2 a sick day) for a doctor's appointment. (Everything's fine). Anyway, this doctor is near my last place of employment. As I'm leaving the appointment and nearing my old office, I notice that the person driving behind me is someone that works there that I haven't seen since I left a year and a half ago. We sometimes talk on e-mail but that's about it so it was kind of a big deal to see him.

He didn't realize it was me so I drove up to the office and met him when he was pulling into a parking space. In his second or third sentence to me, he complimented me. (Since I saw him last I've lost 46 pounds and colored my hair.) Anyway, he stood outside and talked to me for a while. It was really nice because he was genuinely pleased to see me and vice versa.

Wait! It gets better! I was feeling good at having seen him, number one, and at having received a compliment so I left on a high. I decided, at this point, to finally bite the bullet and go shopping for a pair of jeans that fit right. I found a pair and bought them along with a really pretty blouse that I plan to wear to a party of my ex's family next weekend. It's nothing too fancy but it's more snug than I usually am comfortable wearing and it's an awesome color. It's somewhere between orange and salmon. It's got a v-neck, is snug at the bust with an empire waist, and it has frilly-ish sleeves. It's VERY girlie, something that I have never been before! I felt good in viewing my reflection. Even though I'm not counting on getting back together with my ex, I'm not counting it out either. But I do want that wow factor.

And then I had bowling and somehow managed to bowl all three games above my average. My average, on my Thursday league is a 160... I bowled a 173, 189 and 187 tonight. I was pretty impressed with myself!

I didn't exercise today but since I anticipated this yesterday, I walked during lunch, worked out after work and walked around the track at the ecology site twice yesterday. My legs are a little sore today but I'm feeling good about being so active. It's about time I started to take care of myself!

And speaking of taking care of myself, I'm signing off (as soon as I check in one last time with everyone) and going to sleep! See you all soon!


4 Comments:

  • At 5/06/2005 6:00 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    I am glad to see that you are doing so well. Forty-six pounds is a HUGE difference! What color did you color your hair? And what is with this not counting out getting back with your ex thing? We need more info!

     
  • At 5/06/2005 8:26 AM, Blogger M.Thom said…

    FORTY-SIX POUNDS?????????? When you said you had lost weight, I had no idea it was that much! CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud of you!

    Also, in the interest of accuracy, I was FOUR not three. And I can't believe you are STILL talking about the belt incident! Is that going to live on forever like the turnip incident?

     
  • At 5/06/2005 8:41 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Jen... For the longest time I haven't really known my natural hair color because I dye/highlight it so much. It was brown but with a LOT of blonde highlights. Now it is a richer brown than my natural color with a few more golden highlights. Slightly more sophisticated and hence, grown up. About my ex, I just meant that I'm in a place right now where I'm working on me and I'm beginning to see results that I'm happy with. I am still very much in love with my ex but I understand it's not healthy for me to spend the rest of my life pining away for him, especially if he's moving on. However, I'm not about to completely rule out the possibility of us ever getting back together. If it is meant to be, it will be. Time will tell. So, like I said, for now I'm focused on me. Don't worry, I'm sure it won't be too long before you get a long-winded post out of me about him again! :)

    Mary... The 46 pounds that I've lost is over the last year and a half so it hasn't always seemed like a lot, especially when my middle is persistant to losing inches and the pants size stay the same. Besides, I've been on this ride before and even though the saying is that what goes up must come down... well, in my case it's always been true in the reverse. So on some level I've been afraid to share because I don't want to fail again. I knew you'd be appreciative of me bringing up the belt incident on the web! I will talk about that until the day I die!

     
  • At 5/06/2005 9:05 AM, Blogger M.Thom said…

    Hmmm...I always thought your hair was blonde. It was blonde when we were little, right? Anyway, please send a picture so that when I am thinking about how I can picture you correctly in my mind!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home