Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Christmas in June

The first one of my Christmas gifts came the other day. Wahoo!

Let me clarify, it's not a gift for me; it's a gift from me. It's for my mom and I can hardly wait to give it to her. She loves snowmen so most of her gifts have that particular theme. This gift is no different! It's a doormat. I know it sounds boring but it's very colorful and I know she's going to really like it.

You may be wondering why I'm shopping for Christmas six months in advance and I'll tell you that I'm actually behind schedule this year. The day after Christmas 2003, the ex and I went to Kohl's to hit their discounted holiday section and bought a lot of stuff for my mom for incredibly great prices.

I love Christmas but the end of the year is just too hectic to do all of my shopping. Too many birthdays and conferences for work going on to be able to concentrate. Besides, if I see something in May... I know I'm not going to remember to buy it at the end of the year! So I buy things as I see them and then hide them. It's a great way to avoid being completely broke after the holidays. Of course it does get a little difficult to stick to a monetary limit for each person this way! Ah, well, it's the holidays and I like to give gifts that make people smile!

I get it from my mom, I think. She's mellowed over the years but when I was a kid she'd be done with her shopping by July at the latest. Last year everyone seemed to be having an especially hard time finding gifts for me so I've already started giving my mom ideas. Now that she has the ideas, she can dispense them as she sees fit!

One such idea I told her about was an art table. You can adjust the angle of the table top, which is a big selling point for me! I love to draw though I haven't done much in the last few years. Part of that is because it hurts my back to sit all hunched over and partly because I've been preoccupied. Anyway, funny story. About two months ago, I randomly asked a friend how difficult it would be for me to build one of these tables. Ha! I amuse myself. I'm not that talented! Well, I certainly got my friend's attention and made him laugh a little, I think. He told me I should just buy one instead of trying to build one. About two weeks after this conversation, I was killing some time wandering around a local Michael's store and lo and behold, I found the table I was thinking about for $150. Well, I decided that I since I don't currently have enough space for it I would just have to hold off but that when I was ready to buy it, at least I knew where to find it. I'm glad I didn't get it because last week my mom got a catalog that I flipped through. There was the same type of table but way nicer and for only $10 more than the one I had seen.

8 Comments:

  • At 6/30/2005 12:19 PM, Blogger srini said…

    becky (can i call you that?)...

    it must be real fun to do such shopping and hiding (i love it too).

    and hey! you too are an artist. i am glad that jen is getting back to her paintings (and i secretly hope it was my post that DID it ;)).. and similarly i hope you to get back to that drawing board.

    i am sure that will be a great way for you to give another form to your thoughts and ideas (other than this blog). maybe you can start a draw-a-blog or somthing. :). game?

     
  • At 6/30/2005 1:03 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    That's a possibility! I'll get back to drawing one of these days!

    I do prefer NOT to be called Becky. Thanks for asking though! Most people don't. Bec or Becca are fine but I just can't deal with Becky!

     
  • At 6/30/2005 6:36 PM, Blogger ramblin' girl said…

    will you do my shopping for me... I always procrastinate holiday shopping until almost too late.

     
  • At 6/30/2005 6:59 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I am impressed that you've started your shopping already. I always try to, but it never seems to work out that way. Good job!

     
  • At 7/01/2005 8:07 AM, Blogger NME said…

    WOW! Impressive. I usually do my shopping in the two weeks prior to Christmas. Can you believe it?

    I can't do it earlier because I would definitely tell everyone what I bought them or give it to them early. Or decide that the gift isn't quite right in the mean time. I do plenty of that in just those two weeks.

     
  • At 7/02/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    What's wrong with the name Becky? In the last few years I've started using Rebecca more, but I was a Becky for a long time...

     
  • At 7/02/2005 11:47 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    The Other Rebecca--- There's nothing wrong with the name Becky. It's just not me. I've never been called Becky so it just doesn't fit me.

     
  • At 10/02/2005 7:12 PM, Blogger Steve Austin said…

    Tasty blog! Please check out my french gift wine blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home