Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A Taste of Life

Last night I went with some of the people from work to a fundraiser for a local hospital, a hospital that donates some office space to the non-profit agency I work for. The fundraiser was called the Taste of Life, and boy... was it ever!

A number of local restaurants and vineyards were represented with samples of what they offer. Let me tell you, I had some amazing food. And (the ex would be proud of me right now) I tried a lot of different things.

The event was held at a catering hall next to the water. We got a few tables outside, as it was a beautiful evening and took turns going inside and getting food. They only had dessert plates so you had to go in a bunch of times. (Sure, that's the excuse we all used!)

There were so many things to choose from: hazelnut encrusted swordfish over cous cous (YUMMY); Thai meatballs; coconut shrimp, crab cakes, zucchini lasagna; penne with shrimp; assorted breads; steak; sushi; cod in a ginger sauce and a whole bunch of other stuff. But that was only the "real" food. For dessert they had butterscotch and apple crumb cake, chocolate crumb cake; homemade ice cream; assorted cookies and cheesecakes; chocolate covered strawberries; truffles; brownies, etc.

I don't drink wine (a very important point... you'll see why soon) so I didn't pay much attention to the wines they had but they had a lot.

It was a nice evening though. I remembered to bring my camera so we got some pictures (not enough to finish my film though). Mostly we took group pictures but one of the girls insisted on taking a picture of me by myself. I've told her about my blog and while she hasn't checked it out, she thinks this picture would be a good one to post. Then again, she's also the crazy one that wants me to do some extreme blind dating thing. (No thank you!) When I finish the film and get it developed, hopefully it'll be a good picture and I will post it.

Anyway, I've veered away from my story. My supervisor and I went in on some raffles together. We each put our own names on half of the tickets. One of mine was pulled. Do you know what I won? Wine! I think I'm going to have to start drinking it! I won this basket with four bottles of wine and two balloon glasses. I was really much more impressed with the glasses than the wine but I suppose that's besides the point!

No one else that I work with won anything. A few of the girls were a little upset because there were some people that won three or four things. In a room full of people, to have a handful of people win a handful of things each is a little disappointing.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/15/2005 12:12 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    You must try the wine! I am not a big fan of most types of wine, but I absolutely love Merlot, the darker the better. And red wine is good for you (yeah, right, sure it is):)

     
  • At 6/15/2005 2:22 AM, Blogger srini said…

    you could have popped open the wine bottles then and there & got the disappointed people's spirits up :D.

     
  • At 6/15/2005 9:01 AM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    Sounds like a lot of fun to me, I had dinner with my dad and picked up my car. LOL.

    I'm in agreement w/ Jen - Merlot is good but if you arne't a wine drinker start with a fruity wine like Arbor Mist. It's like fruit juice, then you can always move to White Zinfandel and then the better stuff. : )

     
  • At 6/17/2005 7:39 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    There's a very lovely Zinfandel called "Cafe Zinfandel" that my gal pal's introduced me to. It's not quite as over sweet like some white zin's are, but is VERY drinkable for a wine-drinker-in training. I love wine, but am a total box o' wine drinker, and am trying to climb out of my white-trash wine gutter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home