Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Things I Miss

High school days when my friends and I would go out. It didn't matter if we were going to hang out at someone's house, go to the movies and then the diner, the beach, just take a drive or anything else. The group was together and somehow we always managed to have fun.

Laughing hysterically and uncontrollably at any number of idiotic things my (high school) friends and I were a part of such as Saran-wrapping someone's car, dying 4 dozen Easter eggs and then promptly taking two dozen into the yard to have an Easter egg fight, drinking too much and saying/doing stupid things and the list goes on.

Going home with my sophmore year college roommate on weekends and the feeling of independence that came with joining her.

My friend C busting up into my dorm room after cheerleading practice begging me to get the ice bags off her, coming in all groggy on a Saturday morning to see if I wanted to go to breakfast or us driving around Northeastern North Carolina in her Porsche 911 with 80s hair bands blaring from the radio and us singing at the tops of our lungs.

The people in my life that have passed away (Pop-Pop, Grandpa, Mr. L).

The people in my life I've grown apart from (too many to name but they know who they are).

Yes, it's a little sad to think of all the things, times, people, etc. I miss. I'm quite certain there are many more I could add to the list but these were what entered my mind first. But, I digress. Even though it's sad to miss these things it's wonderful to know that at some point they were a part of my life and that I can miss them knowing what they were. I suppose what I'm getting at is that: "It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

6 Comments:

  • At 6/27/2005 11:01 AM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    That last line pretty much summed it up. We've all had those moments - I have them too! Sometimes you need to reconnect with your friends to know who and what matters in your life.

     
  • At 6/27/2005 4:17 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    OOH gosh, high school. It was fun and all but I wouldn't want to go back there.

     
  • At 6/27/2005 5:07 PM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    I agree w/ you Jen - I wouldn't pay to go back there.

     
  • At 6/27/2005 5:41 PM, Blogger Missuz J said…

    My husband often starts his sentences with the phrase, "Back in the day..." As in "Back in the day you wanted to have sex like 2 times a day." I too miss "back in the day" but agree with glitter and jen, and wouldn't want to go back. For me the fun stuff doesn't outweigh the bullshit.

    p.s.--Favorite guilty pleasure hair band? Poison!

     
  • At 6/27/2005 8:24 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Even though I despised high school, I do have some happy memories. Missuzj, I'm with you on this one... Poison and Warrant.

     
  • At 6/28/2005 11:22 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Well, as an eighteen-year-old I guess I am still "back in the day." Does this mean I'm going to spend the rest of my life missing the things I have right now? Man, that sucks...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home