Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Why I Blog

I was introduced to the world of blogging by Mary. I don't remember exactly how it happened but she gave me the address for her blog so I checked it out and I liked it. Then I started hitting the Next Blog button and found some other blogs that interested me.

The whole idea was intriguing to me. I like to write but can't seem to keep a physical journal going for very long. In a way, I figured if there were people reading my blog, it would be incentive for me to keep writing. And wouldn't you know it, it's worked!

I'll admit that some of the people I've told about my blog haven't quite understood why anyone would want to share personal details of their life with so many strangers but I have an answer for them. I've made some really wonderful friends through blogging. I am able to share my experiences with people in similar situations and like to get their feedback as well. It makes me feel less out of my mind. (This is saying something since I almost always feel like I'm about to go off the deep end!)

  • I blog because I need an outlet (who doesn't?).
  • I blog because I want to get different points of view on certain situations.
  • I blog because it keeps me thinking and, I hope, growing.
  • I blog because I enjoy it.

What initiated this post, you ask? Zazzafooky got a comment questioning why she writes about some of the more sobering and more personal moments of her life. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it struck me as odd that someone would ask that. It's one person's personal blog. Therefore, that person can share whatever they choose to. If they want to share personal information they should be able to. Granted, not everyone is going to feel comfortable sharing initimate details of their lives but I don't believe anyone is asking them to.

There is one thing that makes me read the blogs I do and it is how the writers open themselves up and share with the rest of us. It's what I believe I do. This blog is not wholly who I am but it's a good part of me and if you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

5 Comments:

  • At 6/29/2005 1:06 PM, Blogger srini said…

    i felt a bit uncomfortable with publicly blogging my core thoughts on spirituality - since i thought no one would understand me & probably end up thinking i am nut!! so initially i didnt link that blog to my primary blog.

    but reading your blog, glitter's & Jen's gave me some confidence to open up the 3rd eye blog (publicly linked in my primary blog).

    and.. it really great to see you and glitter adding 3rd eye to your listings!

    like you said - no one is forced to come to our blogs, if they like what they see. fine. if they dont..well. pick some other blog!!

     
  • At 6/29/2005 5:31 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    Rebecca, you really are good at opening up and sharing on your blog; I think that is why I am compelled to read it. I think you do a much better job of sharing your feelings through blogging than I do; I guess I am too scared, so I share ancedotes and experiences instead. keep up the good work.

    And srini, if you are reading this, I am going to add your link as well. I have been meaning to.

     
  • At 6/30/2005 12:55 AM, Blogger ramblin' girl said…

    yeah, what Jen said...
    I think you're a great writer. I sometimes ignore the whole people reading it thing when I write. because ultimately my blog is for me. I love getting the comments and advice, but at the end of the day there's only one person I write for.
    thanks for sharing part of yourself with all of us!

     
  • At 6/30/2005 9:10 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Thanks everyone! Your comments are greatly appreciated!

     
  • At 6/30/2005 5:10 PM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    Amen Rebecca! Wow, my blog feels bad and small in comparison to yours but I agree...

    THANK GOODNESS for my blog friends!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home