Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Monday, August 01, 2005

I Hate Bra Shopping

There's really no way to do this other than to just jump right in, so...

I hate bra shopping. It is embarrassing, to say the least. I mean, I'm nearly 30... I've been wearing a bra for a LONG time. How could I possibly NOT know what size I am?

I'll tell you how. I've lost and gained so much weight in recent years (and unfortunately my bust is the last place to gain but the first place to lose) that I've just sort of kept wearing whatever size I was wearing when this particular yo-yo cycle began.

Today, I decided I needed a new bra (I'll explain why shortly since I'm making up for lost time here). There's a store, across the street from work that specializes in helping women find the proper bra. So, after work, this is where I headed first.

Luckily for me (since I blush fairly easily) a saleswoman asked if I needed any help. And, for once in my life in this type of situation, I was honest and told her that yes, I did need help. I explained that I have a blouse that has a rather low cut and I was looking for a bra that I could wear with it that wouldn't pop out of the front of said very plunging neckline.

I explain how I've lost and gained weight and am not certain what size bra I should be wearing so we go into the dressing area for her to measure me. Not a bad deal. The last time I got measured (at a different store), the saleswoman measured me right out on the main floor. Thankfully there was no one else in the store at the time!

But back to today. We go into the dressing area and the woman measures me and then asks what size I wear. Ummm... hello? You just measured me. Shouldn't you know this? If I was certain what size I should wear, would I have let you measure me? These thoughts I kept to myself though. She's just trying to help afterall. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the delivery of the question.

Okay, so I tell her what size I'm currently wearing and she scoots out to find me something to try on. Now I'm standing in the dressing room feeling pretty weird that I don't have anything to do and not wanting to make nice though not really informed saleslady nervous by hovering so I continue to wait.

She finally returns with a bra. Strapless but that goes pretty much down to your waist and hooks all the way up the back. Not bad if I'm going to be in a gown. But, I'm searching for this elusive bra specifically to wear with one blouse. I explain this to her and off she goes again. This time she again returns with only one bra but it's a regular strapless and even though I didn't have the blouse with me, I think it'll work but if it doesn't, well, I didn't have a strapless bra so I guess maybe I needed one.

Here's the best part though. I try on the bra and see her lurking outside the dressing room (which only has a curtain, rather than a door) and just as I notice her... yep. You guessed it. She rips the curtain open and tells me how nice the bra looks on me.

E-M-B-A-R-R-A-S-S-I-N-G-!

Anyway, I bought the bra. Now, I should probably try it on with the blouse and make sure it's okay before I wear it tomorrow to see AIM.

Yup. That's right. We made a breakthrough and have finally spoken on the phone and I am going to see him again tomorrow night. He's going to visit some friends in Florida for two weeks. He's driving and leaving home on either Wednesday or Thursday. So I have prepared a little Road Trip Survival Kit Rebecca-style. Said kit will include a six pack of bottled water, one of those foldable coolers that you just need ice packs for, 2 packs each of three types of gum (right brand, hopefully one is the right flavor) and a little container of my homemade peanut butter cup cookies.

All he knows is that I have something for him to take with him. I'm excited about giving this to him. There's nothing big or time consuming about my little kit but it'll show him that I've been thinking about him. And hopefully it'll make him think of me while he's gone! Yay!

7 Comments:

  • At 8/02/2005 9:28 AM, Blogger GlitterGlamGirl05 said…

    Way to go Rebecca, sex it up!

    I hope you got a padded bra, it always helps the clevage...believe me when I lost weight the boobs shrunk and I had to get sized a few weeks ago. I was so upset when I realized how much they did shrink!

     
  • At 8/02/2005 9:31 AM, Blogger patrice said…

    that's so sweet! I'm sure he'll love the kit.

    bra shopping is horrendous. bra shopping in a place that has only curtains for doors is awful. but a saleslady who doesn't bring you seventy thousand choices after she measures you and does NOT ask you what size you wear and then proceeds to look at you in your skivvies is THE MOST TERRIBLE THING EVER.

     
  • At 8/02/2005 10:09 AM, Blogger NME said…

    Bra shopping is SO wrong. And I hate any sales person who crowds and compliments. She should have brought you ten bras and then disappearred for awhile.

    The road trip kit is a super cute and thoughtful idea. You might want to include a napkin or two with those cookies.

     
  • At 8/02/2005 10:59 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    does ANY woman actually ENJOY bra shopping???

     
  • At 8/02/2005 12:44 PM, Blogger srini said…

    ahem,
    i am outa place here. and can barely imagine the embarassment you guys face. but am with you emotionally on that one.

    whats the way out?

    all the best with AIM - lets hope your aim is bang on.

     
  • At 8/02/2005 7:38 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    I HATE bra shopping! Rebecca, just what does AIM stand for again? I have gone back and looked and I couldn't find it anywhere. I am glad you are back blogging and glad things are going well for you.

     
  • At 8/03/2005 8:35 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Jen-- Alleged Inquiring Mind. I'm still calling him that because my friends knew who it was (at least were familiar with the use of AIM) and because I am insecure and don't totally believe that he is interested.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home