Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Friday, October 21, 2005

A Huge Scare

This is my baby, AJ

Posted by Picasa

When I was a senior in high school, my dad brought an akita puppy home. Although she would become most attached to me, he brought her home for my mom. I was preparing to head off for college and since I'm their only child, he wanted to alleviate some of my mother's anxiety.

The only thing I minded about this, was that I'd be missing out on so much with this little ball of fur that we named AJ. Yea, I know, AJ doesn't sound very feminine. My dad wanted to name her John, after the male half of the couple he bought her from. I suggested the compromise of Annabel John, or AJ, since it was the first names of both members of the couple. So AJ she became.

For those of you who are not pet owners, I can only say that while I understand she is not human, she is SO much more than justa dog. She is a member of my family.

Which is why it was so heartbreaking on Sunday night when I woke up at 1:30 to the sounds of my baby having a seizure. In the 11 and a half years she's been with us, she has never had a seizure. It scared me to no end. Luckily, once it subsided, she was able to get up and walk on her own, though she was shaky.

We immediately rushed her to the animal hospital where they gave her valium and took a blood sample for tests. She had to stay there overnight. In the morning my mother picked her up and took her to her normal vet. The prognosis from the normal vet was slightly more promising than that of the emergency vet and she got to come home.

Knock on wood, my baby has been doing fine since she's been home. There have been no more seizures and she's walking a little better too.

Right now, we're just keeping our fingers crossed for no more seizures and for a few more good months or years together. I don't know if the comparison is appropriate, but I would imagine that this is how those of with kids feel.

4 Comments:

  • At 10/21/2005 2:31 PM, Blogger lonna said…

    How scary for you. When I was little we had a young dog who started having seizures regularly. I was about 4, and it scared me so much. Unfortunately for Maggie, the diagnosis was epilepsy. My parents ended up having to have her put to sleep because she was seizing multiple times every day, and nothing worked for her. She was only 18 months old, I think. I hope that AJ's seizure was a one time event.

     
  • At 10/21/2005 4:28 PM, Blogger patrice said…

    that's awful. I am very attached to my pets, too, and your parallel between someone childless with a dear pet and someone with kids is probably a good one.

    my sister's dog was not able to move her hind legs (or get up or move at all for a few days) for about a week. it was very sudden and very scary. after a week, she went completely back to normal, never having a problem again, and it's been a year. the vet couldn't figure it out. my point is that hopefully this is just a blip on the screen and she'll return to normal and be fine!

     
  • At 10/21/2005 5:38 PM, Blogger ramblin' girl said…

    oh, I'm so sorry. I remember how scared I was when my parents dog had a seizure.
    hope AJ revovers completely and stays seizure-free!

     
  • At 10/21/2005 8:36 PM, Blogger Jen said…

    That is funny that she was Annabel John and my new dog is Annabel too. Ollie, my 17 and a half year old dog had his first seizure a few weeks ago- I blogged about it then and it was scary, though I was better prepared because I previously had an epileptic dog. He has not had another one since, and Daisy the epileptic dog I had managed fine with the seizures for many years, even without medication, so I wouldn't worry too much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home