Home of an Emotional Idiot

While there were times when he wished he could roll back the clock and erase all the sadness, he had a hunch that if he did so, the joy would be diminished as well. And that was something he couldn't contemplate. (From At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks)

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Paranoid?

Thursday, my first day back to work after my trip, we had snow. The forecast was calling for between 3 and 8 inches. It was cold and nasty outside but I needed to eat lunch so I ventured out. As I was brushing snow off of my windows, a man came up to me. Well, he came within three or four feet of me to ask me for $10. He told me his name was Frank and that he was a physician or physicist (I don't remember which) who had been visiting the Island and doing some work at Brookhaven National Labs. However, as his story goes, he had been dropped off at the local train station 12 hours earlier and just needed another $10.

I've fallen for scams before and didn't want to fall for this. He was well groomed and dressed nicely but his story didn't make sense. Our trains run regularly and even if service had been suspended due to the snow, it hadn't been snowing for 12 hours. Anyway, although he offered to mail the $10 back to me as soon as he got home, I lied and told him I didn't have it on me.

He took my lie pretty well and went off, I assume, to hit someone else up for cash.

It makes me wonder. I mean, I hope it was a scam that I just didn't fall for rather than a true story that I made worse. But honestly, how do you know? I know when I travel I'm really anal about having things. I make sure to have at least my license, ATM card, one or two credit cards and some cash. And that is what I keep physically on me. So it makes me suspicious when others don't do that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home